Saturday, January 8, 2011

Thinking of Spring

I don't know if it's the snow that's falling today or cabin fever due the inability to frolic because there's a baby about to fall out of my womb, but I'm looking forward to spring and starting my garden. I walk by it every time I head out to the car and think "Oh boy I can't wait to get all dirty and sweaty and harvest good food!"

I'm not trying to be a hippie here, but have you ever eaten a home grown pepper from the garden and then had a pepper bought from the store? Store bought peppers taste like ass dipped in pepper flavoring. It's true. Hey I know sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do and buy that pepper at the store. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have two store bought peppers in my produce drawer right now, but if I could, I'd trade them in a minute for that home grown pepper of summer.

There's nothing like growing your own food! It wasn't that long ago that people all over this country grew their own food in their own gardens and they canned that food and used it all winter long! What an idea! Here we are its 2011, the cost of food is going up and up and the quality of our food going down, we're eating worse than our great grandparents! But there is something you can do- Grow a garden!!  Even growing a small garden in the summer can satisfy your taste buds and save you some money!!
Anyway, I'm probably going to be planning my garden in the next few weeks. I'm all about activities that require sitting at the moment.  I wanted to leave you with the best video I've ever seen on Nightline. I'd like to imagine someday my yard could be like this guys!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you, but please forgive me if I don't get back to you right away, It's most likely I have a child climbing up my butt.